- The “read 52 books this year” goal. This is my primary focus right now–at 34 books I’m behind where I need to be, and since I probably won’t have time to finish this goal in 2013 or 2014, I really want to get it done this year. I’m going to try to knock it out by getting caught up on some of the YA novels I’ve been meaning to read, along with Shakespeare–pretty quick reads, and Shakespeare has the added benefit of contributing to two goals at once. I also have a few books (The Clash of Civilizations, The Moon and Sixpence) that I’ve almost finished, but just need to power through to finish it up. I’m going back to my one-book-at-a-time model, since that seemed to be working better for me. Goal for the month: To finish ten books, which should put me right about where I should be.
- Walking to work. I started this goal before we left for France, but the amount of walking we did there convinced me that I’m just being lazy by taking my car everyday. Goal: At least until the snow starts falling (and provided it’s not raining), I want to walk or bike to work everyday.
- Running. I’m coming off a stress fracture so the goal is slow & steady, starting out with just a mile a day for the first couple weeks and then gradually working my way up. I miss running a lot, and it’s finally time to get back into it. Goal: at least a mile a day, 5x a week.
- Eating mindfully. The way I was eating in France–pastry and hot cocoa for breakfast, a smaller lunch and a larger dinner (or a larger lunch with a small dinner) was working pretty well for me, and I don’t see why it can’t continue.
- Plowing through the AFI top 100. I’ve gotten to the point where the end is in sight (66 down on the ’98 list, 61 down on the ’07 list), and I want to just knock a whole bunch out this month while it starts getting colder. Apocalypse Now, Midnight Cowboy, Network, Shane, Rocky, Platoon, Intolerance, Duck Soup, and Chinatown are all available on Netflix Instant, so I have zero excuse to not get started right away. Goal: to finish at least 15 movies out of the top 100 (either list).
- “Make 40 new cocktails.” Let’s face it: this is one of the easier, more fun goals on my list, and since I’m already at 23 out of 40, I anticipate I’ll finish this one up around the beginning of 2013. Since it’s getting to that point in the year where it’s chilly outside and I like to spend the night curled up on the couch with a hot cocktail instead of going out, I’m planning on tackling this in October. On the docket: hot toddy, the ice cream variation of hot buttered rum, Christmas punch, Tom and Jerry. Plus I’ve got all this mint to use up from that herb-growing goal . . . Goal: 7 new cocktails.
- Other things where we’ll probably see some progress but I’m not necessarily planning to focus on: opera (my boyfriend and I are slowly working through PBS’s airing of the Met’s Ring Cycle) and homebrewing (I’ve been waiting patiently all summer and it’s finally cool enough to start!).